There’s an amazing feeling that comes from helping others. The more we unite community resources to support United Way of Westchester and Putnam’s goals, the closer we come to ensuring that everyone in Westchester and Putnam counties has access to quality education, financial stability, good health, and essential services for basic needs.
As an AmeriCorps VISTA, you have the power to make a big impact in the lives of others in our local community. VISTA will build the capacity and expand programming in through its core programs: ALICE $ense, our financial empowerment program that changes people’s behavior toward money through a holistic approach which includes volunteer-led financial education, money coaching, tools and resources, and financial incentives; Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program, our free tax preparation program; and Essential Goods for Basic Needs, our gifts-in-kind program that provides much-needed items for free to those experiencing or at risk of poverty. These programs strive to increase financial stability for low-income residents, which includes the ”working poor”, by empowering them with the knowledge and tools they need to make better financial decisions.
The employee culture at UWWP is one of service, kindness, and resourcefulness. This is a great opportunity for someone to join a small collaborative, supportive team, working intelligently, and diligently. A successful VISTA candidate is flexible, self-motivated, detail-oriented, and emotionally intelligent.
As a result of VISTA’s efforts, UWWP will better understand what combination of income services are currently available to the target community, where service gaps are, what best practices can be adopted to enhance program impact, and how to leverage UWWP’s resources to better achieve our goals. Together with your help, we will transform the lives of the most vulnerable children and families in Westchester and Putnam counties.
AmeriCorps VISTA members serving with United Way will be eligible for several benefits during service:
- Applicants relocating 50 or more miles for their volunteer position will receive a $750 settling-in allowance and relocation assistance to compensate for mileage traveled ($0.40 per mile)
- Serve with the world’s largest non-profit
- Opportunities to network and attend trainings
- Access professional development resources such as live webinars, LinkedIn Learning, and internal resources available on United Way Online
- Collaborate with local non-profits, service providers, local government, and corporate partners
- Receive a living allowance every two weeks, Click here for current living allowance rates by county
- Allotted 10 days of personal leave and 10 days of medical leave, in addition to holidays recognized by the host site
- Members with children under the age of 13 may be eligible for childcare benefits
- Reduction of Education Costs (GRE Fee Reduction, Loan Forbearance and Deferment, etc.) Click here for additional details
Upon completion of service there are additional benefits:
- Select one of two End-of-Service Awards: the AmeriCorps Segal Education Award, worth approximately $6000, or the End-of-Service Cash Stipend, worth approximately $1800
- Obtain 2 years of Non-Competitive Eligibility (NCE) Status when applying for federal employment
When you serve as an AmeriCorps VISTA with United Way, you become a member of the United Way family and belong to an impressive network of national service members!
*stipends, travel allowances, and end-of-service awards are subject to change by CNCS