Position: Program Coordinator
Reports To: Director of Community Impact
Category: Full Time
Location: White Plains, NY
Summary of the Position:
This position supports the implementation of United Way programs related to education, income, health and community support. It coordinates and tracks program activities as well as identifying volunteer opportunities and managing volunteers. The position will also require an individual to participate in outreach opportunities throughout Westchester and Putnam counties to promote United Way’s programs and strengthen its impact in the community.
The United Way of Westchester and Putnam helps residents to be self-sufficient and thrive in a stronger community, by providing strategic resources and tools to marginalized populations in crisis, especially the 40% of our neighbors that live in poverty or paycheck to paycheck (what we call ALICE — Asset Limited, Income Constrained, Employed).
Our efforts include the 2-1-1 helpline, early literacy programming for preschoolers, job skills training and financial empowerment for adults, as well as access to health services.
We do this by convening stakeholders and thought leaders, collaborating with community partners, and investing in programs and services to leverage our collective strengths against the strongholds of poverty.
Our efforts impact tens of thousands of individuals and families each year.
- Planning and coordination of a program and its activities
- Ensuring implementation of policies and practices
- Maintaining budget and tracking expenditures/transactions
- Develop and support volunteer opportunities with a program
- Provide input on budget preparation and oversight for each program
- Help build positive relations within the team and external parties
- Represent the agency and its programs and activities to various publics including news media, benefactors, volunteers, community leaders, etc.
- Schedule volunteers and maintain accurate records of volunteer hours of service, as it relates to programs, for year-end reporting requirements including United Way Worldwide Database 2 reporting in June.
- Prepare paperwork and order material
- Support growth and program development
- Travel regionally up to 25% of the time to execute program activities and volunteer opportunities
Other Responsibilities (As needed)
- During times of declared disaster, assist in 2-1-1 duties as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Develop and maintain positive professional relations with all staff, departments, service providers, representatives, and volunteers.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment in addition to self-directed situations with minimal day to day supervision.
- This position requires a highly organized individual, with excellent follow up skills and attention to detail, as well as the ability to plan and administer multiple concurrent projects.
- Utilize good management and leadership techniques and possess problem solving and decision making abilities.
- Work in a highly collaborative manner to accomplish key projects and initiatives and day to day operations through genuine team work.
- Position requires strict adherence to professional, dignified behavior, confidentiality and protection of donor information, and respectfulness whether within the workplace, other not-for-profits, or in the community.
- Always maintains professional demeanor, open mindedness, and patience.
- The candidate must be comfortable and confident working with volunteers, corporate client organizations, donors and the public.
- The successful candidate should be connected and committed to the mission of UWWP.
- This position require an individual to be agile and adaptable in rapidly changing environment
- Assist with the promotion of programs and volunteer opportunities through social media and email marketing
- Strong written, verbal, organizational skills, ability to prepare and lead presentations.
- Superior one-on-one interpersonal and communication skills, including ability to foster confidence and trust, listen sensitively, and respond appropriately to the needs of needs of team members, volunteers, and both corporate and community stakeholders.
- Innovative thinker with a track record being a strategic thinker able to and create results.
- Solution-oriented, data-driven, strategic communicator
- Demonstrated proficiency in MS Office Suite (including Excel)
- Experience with online website applications, email marketing platforms and social media
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional experience required
- Minimum of 5 years in specific nonprofit work
- Advanced degree and/or volunteer management experience in a professional setting, a plus
Working Conditions/Physical Demands –
Position involves work outside of the hours of 9-5 and may involve occasional weekend responsibilities.
Ability to perform physical work, including the ability to lift up to 25 lbs. unaided is required.
Must possess a valid New York State driver’s license as well as personal vehicle.
Cover letters and resumes should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.