Position: Communications Associate
Reports To: Chief Impact Officer
Category: Part time
Location: Hybrid – This position is a hybrid position that can be done remotely 80% of the time but does require tasks that need to be handled in person 20% of the time.
Summary of the Position:
This position supports the implementation of United Way programs related to education, income, health and community support. It will manage a broad range of projects – generating all marketing and communications collateral, managing online and social media content, maintain the agency’s website, and manage all media relationships.
The United Way of Westchester and Putnam helps residents to be self-sufficient and thrive in a stronger community, by providing strategic resources and tools to marginalized populations in crisis, especially the 40% of our neighbors that live in poverty or paycheck to paycheck (what we call ALICE — Asset Limited, Income Constrained, Employed).
Our efforts include the 2-1-1 helpline, early literacy programming for preschoolers, job skills training and financial empowerment for adults, as well as access to health services.
We do this by convening stakeholders and thought leaders, collaborating with community partners, and investing in programs and services to leverage our collective strengths against the strongholds of poverty.
Our efforts impact tens of thousands of individuals and families each year.
- Attending United Way events, and tabling sponsored community events
- Writing articles, letters, and content on promotional tools
- Attending weekly meetings in-person or via Zoom
- Prepping for events—printing flyers, gathering marketing tools, other tasks as needed
- Photographing events and uploading photos
- Live tweeting/ instagramming from events, creating content for social media in general
- Creating/ updating flyers and other marketing tools
- Updating the website
- Helping with other community projects
Other Responsibilities (As needed)
- During times of declared disaster, assist in 2-1-1 duties as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Develop and maintain positive professional relations with all staff, departments, service providers, representatives, and volunteers.
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment in addition to self-directed situations with minimal day to day supervision.
- This position requires a highly organized individual, with excellent follow up skills and attention to detail, as well as the ability to plan and administer multiple concurrent projects.
- Utilize good management and leadership techniques and possess problem solving and decision making abilities.
- Work in a highly collaborative manner to accomplish key projects and initiatives and day to day operations through genuine team work.
- Position requires strict adherence to professional, dignified behavior, confidentiality and protection of donor information, and respectfulness whether within the workplace, other not-for-profits, or in the community.
- Always maintains professional demeanor, open mindedness, and patience.
- The candidate must be comfortable and confident working with volunteers, corporate client organizations, donors and the public.
- The successful candidate should be connected and committed to the mission of UWWP.
- This position require an individual to be agile and adaptable in rapidly changing environment
- Assist with the promotion of programs and volunteer opportunities through social media and email marketing
- Strong written, verbal, organizational skills, ability to prepare and lead presentations.
- Superior one-on-one interpersonal and communication skills, including ability to foster confidence and trust, listen sensitively, and respond appropriately to the needs of needs of team members, volunteers, and both corporate and community stakeholders.
- Innovative thinker with a track record being a strategic thinker able to and create results.
- Solution-oriented, data-driven, strategic communicator
- Strong creative and analytical skills
- Demonstrated proficiency in MS Office Suite (including Excel)
- Experience with Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and LinkedIn, as well as Hootsuite, Adobe Photoshop, and Illustrator.
Education and Experience
- Marketing, Communications, or Public Relations major, certificate or degree or equivalent professional experience required
Working Conditions/Physical Demands –
Position involves work outside of the hours of 9-5 and may involve occasional weekend responsibilities.
Ability to perform physical work, including the ability to lift up to 25 lbs. unaided is required.
Must possess a valid New York State driver’s license as well as personal vehicle.
Cover letters and resumes should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.