UNITED WAY OF WESTCHESTER AND PUTNAM, INC.
Position: Graphic Designer and Digital Content Coordinator
Reports To: Chief Impact Officer
Summary of Candidate Responsibilities:
The key responsibilities of this position include increasing awareness of UWWP within the community and to penetrate and expand the market share of philanthropic donors and supporters. The position is key to assisting the Chief Impact Officer with community outreach, branding and marketing and to building the connection with Resource Development and 2-1-1 to craft messaging and connections and ensures the organization is reaching the appropriate audiences with the most appropriate strategies.
The Graphic Designer and Digital Content Coordinator will manage a broad range of projects – generating all marketing collateral, managing online and social media content, and maintain the agency’s website.
The United Way of Westchester and Putnam helps residents to be self-sufficient and thrive in a stronger community, by providing strategic resources and tools to marginalized populations in crisis, especially the 40% of our neighbors that live in poverty or paycheck to paycheck (what we call ALICE — Asset Limited, Income Constrained, Employed).
Our efforts include the 2-1-1 helpline, early literacy programming for preschoolers, job skills training and financial empowerment for adults, as well as access to health services.
We do this by convening stakeholders and thought leaders, collaborating with community partners, and investing in programs and services to leverage our collective strengths against the strongholds of poverty.
Our efforts impact tens of thousands of individuals and families each year.
Articulate United Way’s value proposition to external audiences through creating, designing, and editing communications materials, which may include press materials, social media strategies and content, web site content, brochures, fact sheets, success stories, donor campaign materials, and other tools to tell the story of United Ways’ work with corporate partners. All materials must be created using United Way Worldwide’s branding guidelines.
Execute integrated communications plans to help drive the success of UWWP’s partner relationships and initiatives to build stronger communities together. This may include:
- Paid, earned, shared and owned communications elevating the partnership;
- Work in collaboration with the resource development and impact teams to broaden the audience and donor base and increase public awareness and engagement.
Expanded Job Description and Responsibilities:
- Management of External/Internal Marketing Collateral
- Messaging: Implement strategic and consistent messages across all distribution platforms.
- Design: Research and implement best design practices across all platforms.
- Production: Manage all internal and external printing of marketing collateral with special emphasis on budgetary considerations.
- Work on event communications and presentations, media packets and photo shoots.
Earned and Paid Media Management
- Work with the resource development team and communications team to develop advertising campaigns, secure pro-bono placements, measure impact and recognize media donors in a reasonable timeframe.
- Manage in-house graphics, photos, and videos and coordinate outside photoshoots.
Online Communications and Social Media Strategy
- Oversee content development for web and social media channels.
- In collaboration with the Chief Impact Officer, assess the effectiveness of existing website content, architecture, navigation, interactivity, design, use of new and social media, and overall quality.
- Work with staff and volunteer leadership to set overall web and social media strategy as it relates to marketing goals (consistency of message and design).
- Identify the digital communication tools that would advance our strategic goals and champion their adoption throughout the organization.
- Evolve social media policy, strategy and integration into communication efforts.
- Grow inbound marketing based on quality keyword-rich content creation and search engine optimization.
- Measure the effectiveness of online communications and social media strategies through set metrics, including growth in numbers of visitors, inbound links, and time spent on sites.
- During times of declared disaster, assist in 2-1-1 duties as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned.
Ability to work effectively in a team environment in addition to self-directed situations, respectful of team members, appreciative of unique skill sets, diplomatic, practical problem-solving skills, positive, complimentary, organized, punctual, responsible, professional with regard to meeting preparation/logistics/protocol i.e. performing due diligence regarding participants at meeting in additional to applicable subject matter.
Utilize good management and possess problem-solving and decision-making abilities. Follows through to completion of assigned tasks. Always maintains professional demeanor, open-minded, versatile, and patient. High energy individual with a positive attitude.
Develop and maintain positive professional relations with all staff, departments, service providers, representatives, and volunteers. Position requires professional, dignified behavior, always being fair and respectful whether inside the workplace, other not-for-profits, or in the community. Work in a highly collaborative manner to accomplish key projects and initiatives and day to day operations through genuine teamwork.
Strong written, verbal, organizational skills, ability to prepare and lead presentations. Astute listener, able to understand, reflect, incorporate the needs of clients, team members, volunteers, and stakeholders. Effective at engaging with top-level corporate executives and prospective major gift donors. Innovative thinker with a track record being a strategic thinker able to implement a plan and create results.
Proficiency in MS Office Suite, Constant Contact, Excel, Word Press, Adobe InDesign, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Premiere, Adobe Audition and Adobe Dreamweaver. Must be able to create dashboards as well as create and maintain website updates and social media postings.
Education and Experience
A Bachelor’s degree plus three years of prior relevant work experience.
Demonstrated excellence in strategic communications: writing, editing and content creation across multiple platforms
Deep understanding of the corporate landscape and environment
Experienced in creating/executing communications strategies that get results
Ability to be creative with limited resources
Experience with Corporate Social Responsibility communications, inside a company or partnering with a company, is strongly preferred
Experience with digital marketing to include email management, social media, basic html, and graphic design strongly preferred
Solution-oriented, data-driven, strategic communicator
Detail-oriented project management
Strong relationship builder and collaborator
Agile and adaptable in a rapidly changing environment
Any advanced degrees, specialized training, and certification in development is valuable.
Professional Advancement Expectations
Remain apprised of industry trends and relevant issues in specific industries having an impact on fund development, read designated industry-related periodicals, enroll in continuing education programming when available subject to pre-approval of supervisor.
Working Conditions/Physical Demands
Position involves work outside of the hours of 9-5 and may involve occasional weekend responsibilities. Must be able to sit and stand for long periods of time as well as have the ability to lift, carry, push and/or pull objects weighing up to 30 lbs.
Statements in this job description are intended to describe the general nature of work being performed and are not in any way to be intended as a complete comprehensive list of all responsibilities, skills required for position and duties.
Must provide their own transportation to outside meetings.
Apply: Email resume, a link to your portfolio, and a cover letter that includes salary requirements to firstname.lastname@example.org.