Position: Finance Manager
Reports to: Chief Financial Officer
Category: Full time, exempt
Location: White Plains, NY
At the United Way we believe that WE ARE STRONGER TOGETHER and that it is only by being UNITED that we can change the world for the better.
In Westchester and Putnam more than 40 percent of households are living in poverty or paycheck to paycheck, what we call ALICE (Asset Limited, Income Constrained, Employed). These are often hardworking families struggling to make ends meet and provide a better life for their children. But for these families, when funds run short, they are forced to make impossible choices between childcare or paying the rent, filling a prescription, or fixing a car. They are our preschool teachers, home health aides and retail salespeople – workers essential to keeping all our communities and economies humming, yet who struggle to pay their own basic bills.
We achieve results three ways. Firstly, by investing dollars or essential goods in programs with proven results. Secondly, we also provide direct services to those in crisis (through our 211 Helpline) or supportive educational services to foster self-sufficiency. And finally, we foster collaborations with community stakeholders, leaders, and partners to change the way we look at and solve problems.
We collaborate with hundreds of nonprofit partners and governmental agencies, and our work positively impacts hundreds of thousands of individuals every year.
We are searching for a Finance Manager to join our team. This role will report directly to the Chief Financial Officer and be responsible for providing leadership to the finance department. Responsibilities include the management of the organization’s annual budget, general accounting, financial reporting and analysis, revenue management, accounts receivable, accounts payable and audits. As a key member of the Finance team, this employee will be a resource for analytic support on operations and strategic projects.
Core Duties and Responsibilities:
- Responsible for cash accounts, accounts receivables and payroll.
- Oversee accounts, ledgers, financial software and reporting systems.
- Conducts reconciliations of general ledger accounts, depreciation, employee taxes and insurance, and payroll liabilities.
- Manage and assist with payroll of employees and contractors.
- Maintain working knowledge of all billable contracts and grants.
- Generate, supervise, and reconcile grant billing and spending of federal and local funds.
- Support CFO with month-end close process and financial reporting, ensuring journal entries and accruals are posted.
- Maintain high-level of proficiency and provide leadership for the organization.
- Develop and prepare ad hoc reports as needed.
- Assist CFO with external and fiscal audit activities.
Other Responsibilities (As needed)
- United Way of Westchester and Putnam is considered an “Essential Crisis Response Business” by New York State. Thus, during times of declared disaster, you may be asked to assist with emergency response duties as necessary.
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree required plus 5+ years of relevant finance/accounting experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- A minimum of three (3) years’ experience in a management role in non-profit management preferred with a proven track record of increasing responsibilities and achievements in the areas of financial management and planning.
- Experience in payroll and human resources is helpful.
- Excellent analytical and accounting skills.
- Effectively manage multiples assignments in a timely and efficient manner.
- Strong leadership skills, excellent communication & presentation skills.
Working Conditions/Physical Demands:
- Position involves occasional work outside of the hours of 9-5 and may involve occasional weekend responsibilities.
- Ability to perform physical work, including the ability to lift up to 25 lbs. unaided, is required.
- Must possess a valid New York State driver’s license as well as personal vehicle.
External and internal applicants, in addition to any position incumbents who become disabled as defined under the American Disabilities Act (herein referred to as the ADA) must be able to perform the essential job functions as listed herein either unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation to be determined by management on a case-by-case individual basis.
Statements in this job description are intended to describe the general nature of work being performed and are not in any way to be intended as a complete comprehensive list of all responsibilities, skills required for position and duties.
Please send cover letter with salary requirements and resume to email@example.com. Salary Range: $60K-$70K. United Way is an equal opportunity employer.