Position: Director of Community Impact
Reports To: Chief Impact Officer
Category: Full Time
Summary of the Position:
This position supports the implementation of United Way programs related to education, income, health and community support. It coordinates and tracks program activities as well as identifying volunteer opportunities and managing volunteers. The position will also require an individual to participate in outreach opportunities throughout Westchester and Putnam counties to promote United Way’s programs and strengthen its impact in the community.
The United Way of Westchester and Putnam helps residents to be self-sufficient and thrive in a stronger community, by providing strategic resources and tools to marginalized populations in crisis, especially the 40% of our neighbors that live in poverty or paycheck to paycheck (what we call ALICE — Asset Limited, Income Constrained, Employed).
Our efforts include the 2-1-1 helpline, early literacy programming for preschoolers, job skills training and financial empowerment for adults, as well as access to health services.
We do this by convening stakeholders and thought leaders, collaborating with community partners, and investing in programs and services to leverage our collective strengths against the strongholds of poverty.
Our efforts impact tens of thousands of individuals and families each year.
• Manage the continuous planning and implementation of the Focus Areas/Visions/Target Issues/Objectives/Strategies as developed by the Board of Directors and senior leadership of UWWP. Identify and engage businesses, volunteers and community resources.
• Research and collect community-level indicator data from a variety of sources to assist with Community Impact Performance measurements to track baseline trends related to community indicators and UWWP initiatives.
• Assist the Chief Impact Officer with the community investment process, contract management and reporting procedures for funded partners.
• Provide leadership and management of the organization’s core UWWP direct service efforts.
• Work with Chief Impact Officer and the Resource Development Department on all outside grant contract reporting obligations to ensure timely and accurate submission of required reports.
• Manage staff within Impact department including grant-funded positions.
• Responsible for working with the Chief Impact Officer to develop and monitor program budgets. Works with Finance area to ensure appropriate accounting of expenditures.
• Responsible for managing the Gifts in Kind Program, which includes maintaining records of both donor organization/individuals and recipient nonprofit agencies:
- Assigns valuation to every item received from the donor. Value is researched from several sources such as Turbo Tax, Salvation Army reference, eBay, etc.
- Posts donor information, including item description, value and donor name & address, to a database and prepares monthly reports for UWWP Finance Department.
Database is composed of several hundred non-profit agencies.
- Informs new agencies of requirements to be on UWWP email blast list to receive information about donations.
- Maintains required 501 (C) (3) and accompanying request letters in UWWP files and updates/reassesses periodically since there are agencies that go out of
- Works with Good360 (formerly Gifts In Kind International) Retail Donation Program as a source of product donations to the community. Matches larger
charities to stores. Charities make automatic pickups at approximately 20 stores every two weeks, monthly or as needed by individual stores.
- Reviews stores and agencies annually.
- Maintains relationships with store managers and agencies.
- Makes occasional site visits to both stores and agencies.
- Ensures that agencies send the required paperwork, including the value of the retail donations. Posts information to database, which currently lists several hundred nonprofit
agencies, and prepares periodic reports for UWWP Finance Department.
- Maintains “Wish List” from agencies.
• Coordinate Community Drives with local corporate (coordinates with Resource Development area), school, and agency partners
• Responsible for United Way representation in networks supporting Community Impact goals (i.e.: Family Task Force, Community Network Committees.).
• Work with the Chief Impact Officer on the management of EFSP for Putnam County and Westchester County, as well as any other grant initiatives.
• Support the planning and execution of our Nonprofit Leadership Summit, an all-day educational event for the nonprofit community
• Travel regionally up to 25% of the time to execute responsibilities
Other Responsibilities (As needed)
• During times of declared disaster, assist in 2-1-1 duties as assigned.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Develop and maintain positive professional relations with all staff, departments, service providers, representatives, and volunteers.
• Ability to work effectively in a team environment in addition to self-directed situations with minimal day to day supervision.
• This position requires a highly organized individual, with excellent follow up skills and attention to detail, as well as the ability to plan and administer multiple concurrent projects.
• Utilize good management and leadership techniques and possess problem-solving and decision making abilities.
• Work in a highly collaborative manner to accomplish key projects and initiatives and day to day operations through genuine teamwork.
• Position requires strict adherence to professional, dignified behavior, confidentiality and protection of donor information, and respectfulness whether within the workplace, other nonprofits, or in the community.
• Always maintains professional demeanor, open mindedness, and patience.
• The candidate must be comfortable and confident working with volunteers, corporate client organizations, donors and the public.
• The successful candidate should be connected and committed to the mission of UWWP.
• This position require an individual to be agile and adaptable in rapidly changing environment
• Assist with the promotion of programs and volunteer opportunities through social media and email marketing
• Strong written, verbal, organizational skills, ability to prepare and lead presentations.
• Superior one-on-one interpersonal and communication skills, including ability to foster confidence and trust, listen sensitively, and respond appropriately to the needs of needs of team members, volunteers, and both corporate and community stakeholders.
• Innovative thinker with a track record being a strategic thinker able to and create results.
• Solution-oriented, data-driven, strategic communicator
• Demonstrated proficiency in MS Office Suite (including Excel)
• Experience with online website applications, email marketing platforms and social media
Education and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional experience required
• At least three years of management and supervisory experience, including project
management experience. Previous work performed as staff or volunteer for human service
organizations is preferred.
• Minimum of 5 years in specific nonprofit work
• Advanced degree and/or volunteer management experience in a professional setting, a plus
Working Conditions/Physical Demands
• Position involves work outside of the hours of 9-5 and may involve occasional weekend responsibilities.
• Ability to perform physical work, including the ability to lift up to 25 lbs. unaided is required.
• Must possess a valid New York State driver’s license as well as a personal vehicle.
External and internal applicants, in addition to any position incumbents who become disabled as defined under the American Disabilities Act ( herein referred to as the ADA) must be able to
perform the essential job functions as listed herein either unaided or with the assistance of a reasonable accommodation to be determined by management on a case by case individual basis.
Statements in this job description are intended to describe the general nature of work being performed and are not in any way to be intended as a complete comprehensive list of all
responsibilities, skills required for position and duties.
Apply: Please send cover letter with salary requirements and resume to Lynn Clifford, VP Operations at email@example.com by June 19th.
Salary Range: $50,000-$60,000. Resumes without salary requirements will not be considered.
United Way is an equal opportunity employer.