Job Title: Manager of Special Events
Reports To: Chief Development Officer
Category: Full-Time, Exempt
Location: White Plains, NY
Summary of the Position:
The primary responsibility of this position is to serve as the lead contact and coordinator of United Way’s special events programs (fundraising), as well as supporting general development programs, including annual giving and prospect research. The position is an integral part of the organization responsible for increased fundraising, the attraction of new supporters (corporate and individual), and the continued stewardship of these relationships.
Under the supervision of the Chief Development Officer, this position coordinates all the administrative and logistical aspects of United Way’s fundraising events including, but not limited to the annual Imagine Gala, Day of Golf, Women’s Leadership Council Breakfast, as well as assisting with the Nonprofit Leadership Summit.
The United Way of Westchester and Putnam helps residents to be self-sufficient and thrive in a stronger community, by providing strategic resources and tools to marginalized populations in crisis, especially the 40% of our neighbors that live in poverty or paycheck to paycheck (what we call ALICE — Asset Limited, Income Constrained, Employed). Our efforts include the 211 Helpline, early literacy programming for preschoolers, job skills training and financial empowerment for adults, as well as access to health services. United Way of Westchester and Putnam mobilizes strategic partnerships and leverages resources to create a more equitable community by advancing education, financial stability, and health initiatives. Our efforts impact tens of thousands of individuals and families each year. Our United Way has a purpose-driven culture, one that prioritizes the greater good, working hard, and getting things done, while focusing on innovation, risk-taking, high morale, and having fun.
Special EventsThe position is responsible for the planning, budgeting, organization, and implementation of all fundraising events, including:
- Develop and support volunteer event committees
- Budget preparation and oversight for each event
- Development of event invitation, invitees, and marketing plan
- Manage solicitation of event sponsors, as well as all sponsor benefits, recognition, and acknowledgments
- Communicate and coordinate with all speakers, including presenter(s), honoree(s), emcee, etc. as required for the event
- Provide event scripting and time schedules to all presenters, etc. in advance of the event date
- Secure and coordinate all venues and outside vendors such as photographers, florists, etc.
- Lead and/or conduct all activities related to event auctions (live, online, paddle, or silent) including solicitations, timely acknowledgment of auction donors, etc.
- Manage and prep event program journal needs, including content development, photo(s), and bios(s) as needed, and procurement of camera-ready paid and sponsor ads
- Complete and submit grant applications associated with special events sponsorship.
- Manage reservations including guest list, seating, post-event thank you letters, etc.
- Develop staffing assignments and schedules for each event and conduct a pre-event meeting with UWWP staff
- Track volunteer hours and thank event volunteers and committee members
- Attend all events and provide oversight
- Finalize each event reconciliation report and submit it to finance
- Other event-related tasks as required per event type.
General Development Responsibilities
- Assist with donor stewardship throughout the year including community appeals mailings, donor recognition for annual reports, telephone follow-up as required, etc.
- Perform prospect research regarding both individuals, businesses, and corporations to help broaden the organization’s visibility and recognition, as well as garner increased financial support.
- Maintain accurate records of volunteer hours of service for special events, engagement opportunities, and other fundraising activities, for year-end reporting requirements.
- Assist with preparation of information about resource development, donors and giving, etc. for the FY end Database 2 Project required by United Way Worldwide by June 30th each year.
- This position may, from time to time, be required to assist with other UWWP projects and programs.
- A mature and professional demeanor, open-mindedness, and patience, in working relationships with staff, other departments, service providers, representatives, and volunteers.
- Initiative and the ability to work effectively in a team environment with minimal day-to-day supervision.
- This position requires a highly organized individual, with exceptional attention to detail and follow-up skills, as well as the ability to plan and administer multiple concurrent projects.
- Proven history of good/sound judgment as well as problem-solving and decision-making abilities.
- The position requires strict adherence to professional, dignified behavior, confidentiality, protection of donor information, and respectfulness whether within the workplace, other not-for-profits, or in the community in general.
- The candidate must be comfortable and confident working with corporate client organizations, donors, and the public.
- Strong written, verbal, and organizational skills, ability to prepare and lead presentations.
- Superior one-on-one interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to foster confidence and trust, listen sensitively, and respond appropriately to the needs of team members, volunteers, and corporate and community stakeholders.
- Innovative thinker with a history of being a strategic thinker able to create results.
- Demonstrated proficiency in MS Office Suite (including Excel) and data base managements systems (Bloomerang or other CRM systems)
- Experience with online website applications, email marketing platforms, and social media
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent professional experience required
- Minimum of 3-5 years in specific nonprofit work or client-based sales position or marketing.
- Advanced degree and/or related event and volunteer experience in a professional setting, a plus
Working Conditions/Physical Demands
- While this position is preferable “in-office,” where health and safety protocols are of paramount importance to the organization, employees may work remotely 1 day a week.
- The position involves work outside of the hours of 9-5 and may involve occasional weekend responsibilities.
- Ability to perform physical work, including the ability to lift up to 25 lbs. unaided is required.
- Must possess a valid New York State driver’s license as well as a personal vehicle.
Application Deadline: Open until position is filled
Salary: Up to $60-65,000 with comprehensive employee benefits
To Apply: Send cover letter, resume, and references to email@example.com “Manager of Special Events” in the subject line. Applications received without a cover letter will not be considered, and candidates selected for interviews will be notified. No phone calls.