- Our Work
- Get Involved
Search for Help
Volunteering is not just a nice thing to do – it is an essential change mechanism in our community. Money alone cannot solve the issues that plague many of our communities. That is why United Way surrounds every initiative with volunteers. When you have a committed group of people to assess the issue, measure it, and work on the front lines, change happens.
Become a Financial Education Coach!
Our Financial Education program has expanded to include financial coaching to low-income working adults, thanks to a grant from Chase Bank. Coaches will have regular one-on-one sessions with clients to help them reach their financial goals and become financially self-sufficient. The process of coaching is client driven; the coach provides encouragement and accountability so the clients can reach their goals through practice and use of new skills and tools. Click here for more details and training dates.
Become a Mentor, Reader or Tutor
United Way is partnering up with Volunteer New York! and dozens of other nonprofits in Westchester and Putnam to increase the number of volunteers helping children in elementary school as part of our SmartStart Initiative. Click here to join the movement and sign up today.
Hand out FamilyWize cards at locations around Westchester and Putnam so people can receive discounts on prescription drugs at the pharmacy. Contact: Mary Ann Luna, 914-997-6700 x740
Marketing and Communications Volunteers
Experience first hand the many hats of a great communications team. Whether you are talented with In-Design, video editing, social media, website coding, preparing press releases or would like to build your skills in any of these areas, there are all levels of positions available. Must be good on the computer - on the job training for everything else. Contact: Shannon Cobb, 914-997-6700 x 720.
United Way's 2-1-1 Volunteers
United Way 2-1-1 serves as a confidential, comprehensive helpline for people who need information and referrals in the Hudson Valley area. Located in White Plains, 2-1-1 call center is available 9am-7pm, 365 days a year. Contact: Pat Anderson, 914-997-6700 x752
Volunteer positions include:
- Outreach for Foster Parent Recruitment and 2-1-1: Hand out materials in the community about these vital programs.
- Disaster Entry Level Information Referral Specialist: Help United Way's 2-1-1 answer calls during an emergency.
Resource Development Volunteers
Work with great group of experienced fundraising professionals. United Way raises over 10 million in funds, goods, and services each year thanks to a large network of volunteers and advocates. Contact: 914-997-6700. Postions include:
- Westchester Community Leadership Committee - United Way works with teams of local residents to raise funds in communities throughout Westchester.
- Putnam Community Leadership Committee - United Way works with teams of local residents to raise funds in communities throughout Putnam and plan the annual Putnam Best Chefs.
- Prospect Researcher (Intern or Volunteer): Do you want to learn more about planned giving and major gifts? Work with experienced staff to prepare for meetings with major donors.