United Way’s mission is to advance the common good. With your help, we can create opportunities for a better life by focusing on: a quality education that leads to a better job, which provides the income that can support a family through retirement; and good health. Everything we do supports these building blocks for a better life – and that affects all of us.
We invite you to be part of the change. Be part of improving the education, income and health of people in our community. Because united we stand. United, we elevate. United, we can change what we see in our world.
United Way of Westchester and Putnam helps children and youth achieve their potential through education.
- Partnering with the community in focusing on the critical importance of early childhood development and in providing early learning opportunities
- Promoting school success by giving young children the tools to succeed in school
- Providing in-school mentoring programs for at-risk kids
Just a few of our important initiatives in Education:
- Born Learning: An innovative public engagement campaign helping parents, caregivers and communities create quality early learning opportunities for children. Born Learning engages parents, grandparents and caregivers in an alliance with organizations that serve children to achieve lasting community change. Find out more...
- Intergenerational Literacy and Mentoring: Senior mentors participate in Mt. Vernon elementary schools to help students improve academic skills, keep youth on track and reduce behavioral problems.
- SmartStart: Focuses on at-risk children from kindergarten through fourth grade, tackling the barriers that prevent them from joining their classmates in academic achievement. Find out more...
- Thrive by Five: Teaches and encourages parents to help their children achieve, and to give them the support they need at home to do their best at school. Find out more...
- Participate to Graduate: Makes sure critically at-risk youth can look forward to a better future by guiding them through school with intensive advocacy efforts, family outreach, and academic and social service support. Find out more...
- Intergenerational Initiative: Find ways to encourage bonding between older adults and children and youth, build mutual respect, learn from each other and work together. Find out more...
United Way of Westchester and Putnam works with partners to help families become financially stable and independent.
- Supporting basic needs while increasing financial education
- Increasing affordable housing for individuals and families
- Helping families to offset the high cost of prescription drugs
Just a few of our important initiatives in Income:
United Way of Westchester and Putnam works to improve people’s health.
- Increasing health education and preventive care
- Increasing access to costly prescription drugs
Just a few of our important initiatives in Health:
Whether you give at the workplace or privately, giving to United Way is the easiest and one of the most powerful ways to invest in your community. You can direct your contribution to one of the action areas – Education, Income or Health – or choose all three. We all win when a child succeeds in school, when a family finds a home or when a senior remains healthy and independent.
You can make change happen with our voice. Get informed. Tell your friends. Write a letter to the editor. United Way needs people who are passionate about education, income and health to make some noise. Sign up for United Way’s e-mail list so you can stay in the know about advocacy opportunities right here in Westchester and Putnam.
United Way, The Volunteer Center and 2-1-1 work with volunteers and local nonprofits to develop the best opportunities for youth, busy working adults and seniors. Click here for a list of local volunteer opportunities.