- Our Work
- Get Involved
Search for Help
Financial Education Resources
Additional resources are provided to help learn more about relevant topics. Below you will find links to publications, websites, and articles containing more information and tools to help implement new financial strategies. The United Way of Westchester and Putnam does not endorse any particular source of public financial information.
- Set up and tools
- Steps to control spending
Money CNN: Ideal Budget: Test how you measure up. Lessons on how to get on track.
- Worksheet, videos, tools
- Budgeting Apps
Mint.com: Free, highly rated financial management app to calculate and categorize your spending.
- Understanding Credit
Series of YouTube videos from Khan Academy - Educational videos on finances
Bankrate Inc. - Offers free mortgage calculators
- Comprehensive Credit Report
Central Source LLC -Deals with credit report
- Credit Counseling
Greenpath Debt Solutions -Offers debt counseling and explains how to get out of debt.
- Opt Out of Credit Card Offers
Consumer Credit Reporting Companies
- Explains what Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) is and how it can help you.
- Credit Education Library
Credit Matters - Easy steps to understand credit
- Saving Strategies and estimators
Consumer Federation of America: Find a local savings campaign for consumer advocacy and education and make use of tools such as a customized home wealth estimator. The bank you choose matters! How to choose and use savings bank tips and resources.
- Resource library
National Endowment for Financial Education (NEFE): Search financial topics relevant to your finances such as retirement, health insurance, debt and taxes.
- Banking and Savings Basics
Money CNN: Take the test! How good is your knowledge of banking basics?
- Investment Basics
Money CNN: Crucial strategies for the new investor—learning the financial instruments.
- Resource Library
National Endowment for Financial Education: Search financial topics relevant to your finances such as mutual funds, home ownership and fraud.
- Tools, calculators, resources
GreenPath Debt Solutions: Useful tools to help you figure out how to save, how to invest and how much money you'll need to save.
- Information about the home buying process and access to counselors
US Department of Housing and Urban Development
- Important Considerations
Money CNN: Learn the ten most important pointers to know before purchasing a home. Resource tools and vital information.
- Buying Process, homeownership, rent vs. buy
GreenPath Debt Solutions: Straight talk about the pros and cons of renting vs. buying including flexibility, unexpected costs and market swings.
- Homebuying Programs for Low Income Families
- Mortgage Calculator - Discusses education for kids and the value of money
- Debt management information
Money CNN: e to become debt-free and calculate the correct payment to achieve that goal. Damage control: The smart way to manage your hard-earned money.
- Bankruptcy process
GreenPath Debt Solutions: Go back to school for an education in bankruptcy. Study “Bankruptcy Basics” which walks you through the entire process including bankruptcy counseling and court and its aftermath.
- Get out of debt resources
Educators Advisory Council: Download or order FREE money skills materials such as DVDs, video games and brochures.
- Youth Money Education & Management
Department of the Treasury: Basic financial concepts, money math, games and videos for the digital generation.
- Kids and Money
Money CNN: Investing in our future: A parents’ guide to raising smart money managers. To give or not to give: Pros and cons of childhood allowance.
- Healthcare finder
US Department of Health and Human Services: Information is power—compare insurance plans and providers and understand the Healthcare Law.
- Health insurance primer
Money CNN: Get the most bang for your healthcare buck: Money-saving strategies for health insurance.
- Resources, find insurance
Business Week - Talks about where someone can get healthcare insurance
- Comprehensive Information
Money CNN: Find out about little known discounts that can save you REAL money.
- Home insurance primer
National Association of Realtors - Describes home insurance
- Resources, tools, and calculators
Homeinsurance LLC : Size up what your home is worth and how much coverage you need.
- Tax information and resources
IRS: Don’t mess with the tax man—stay current on filing requirements and “chat” with an interactive tax assistant.
- Basic tax information
Money CNN Beinging Tax infomation
- The basics on taxes
The Kiplinger: View instructive videos on topics such as charitable contributions, tax audits and maximizing deductions.
- Taxes 101
About.com: Five basic ideas to help you understand what taxes are all about.
- Filing for the first time
Fastweb.com: Step by step instructions for first-time filers.
- Tips to keep data safe, resources
- Protect and repair
Federal Trade Commission: Information about how to deal with identity theft and how to prevent it.
- Identity Protection
IRS: Find out if you are victim of identity theft and get help through the IRS.
Identity Theft Resource Center: Get one-on-one assistance for all types of identity theft.
- Clearinghouse of financial information for individuals, research, and teaching
- Online videos - Educational videos on finances
- Resource library, life events
National Endowment for Financial Education: Stay “fin-nected”: Sign up for a free text message program that delivers reminders and tips directly to your mobile device.
- Free financial Calculators
FinancialCalculator.org - Free calculators to help
- Tech/ personal account management
INTUIT: Use this free, highly rated financial management app
- Do Not Call Registry
National Do Not call Registry - About telemarketing calls.
- National Student Loan Database: Locate all federal loans -Student loans
- Información general, servicios, directorios, ayuda al consumidor y línea telefónica directa
- Encontrará formularios y publicaciones descargables
- Guia Para Ahorrar
- Protección al consumidor e información de la Comisión Federal del Comercio
- Información general y recursos sobre viviendas del Departamento de Vivienda y Desarrollo Urbano de EE.UU
- Folleto sobre hipotecas y recursos sobre vivienda
- Translated articles, artículos traducidos en español
Consumer Federation of America
- Spanish resources, recursos en español
Federal Reserve of Dallas
- Spanish tools, herramientas financieras
Fundación Nacional para el Asesoramiento Crediticio